Pages

Revisiting antlers in decor

Tuesday, October 20, 2015


 In 2014 I wrote a post about the popularity of antlers in home design:  I had reservations about their overuse.  Whenever anything becomes too popular I am automatically reticent about employing the trend in my own home or  the homes of clients.  I decided there was a middle ground when it  comes to using antlers in an interesting way  as described in my initial post.


My antler gift finally moved indoors this summer once I decided it was suitably bleached.  The other one  was left in the flower bed.   Once moved inside it took up a  nomadic existence as you can see from the photos below.  You never knew where it would turn up.

 trunk, beach house, antlers  and candles

On the trunk in the living room for an evening of company when you want some ambiance.  The antler served as a place holder for the remote start candles.  I love this invention;  they flicker like real candles, smell like real candles and you don't have to worry about fire.  Thanks Costco!


antler and candles, beach house, handmade dining table


Or on the dining table if you want to use the the trunk for food or drinks.

or

as part of a console table vignette.

console vignette, antler, beach house, Home and Cabin

Our summer place was featured  in a local design magazine called Home and Cabin.  I needed an organic shape to add dimension to  a  vignette I created for the shoot.  My antler was perfect in scale and form.  It almost looks like writing and relates well to the other collected items on the tabletop. 



glass container with rope, antler, bleached wood floor

And when not in use, it resides on the floor in the corner  ready and willing to leap into service when called upon. 

I saw this  Fall application today on Pinterest and it gave me a new idea for Christmas.  Guess I'll be dragging antlers to my city home next month! This works so well because everything is bleached even the table top.  Did I mention I love bleached wood

antlers centrepiece, white hydrangeas, white pumpkins, bleached wood

Perhaps you have an antler in your life and have ideas for  its use.  I would love to hear from you. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Most Reading